From a specially selected group of industry experts, beauty journalists and international trade press, seven inspirational and influential hairdressers – the cream of the British hairdressing industry, have been nominated for the prestigious British Hairdresser of the Year Award.
The nominated hairdressers are;
• Akin Konizi – Artistic Director for hob salon group, and previous winner of London Hairdresser of the Year 2005. This is Akin’s third consecutive nomination.
• Andrew Barton – previous winner of British Hairdresser of the Year 2006, Andrew is the Artistic Director of Saks Hair and Beauty. This is Andrew’s sixth nomination.
• Angelo Seminara – The current British Hairdresser of the Year and International Creative Director at Trevor Sorbie. This is Angelo’s third nomination and he has previously won the Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year in 2000, 2003 and 2004.
• Antoinette Beenders – As Global Artistic of Aveda, Antoinette was announced British Hairdresser of the Year 2004, and in 1995 won Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year.
• Errol Douglas – This is the 12th nomination for Knightsbridge salon owner Errol Douglas, previous winner of Afro Hairdresser of the Year 1993, 1995 and 2007.
• Gary Hooker & Michael Young – This is the first nomination for owners of salon group Hooker & Young and six times winners of North Easter Hairdresser of the Year and Schwarzkopf British Colour Technicians of the Year 2006.
• Phil Smith – As owner of 22 international Toni & Guy salons, this is Phil’s sixth nomination. Phil is a previous winner of Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year 1993,1998 and 1999.
In the British Hairdressing Awards 24 year history there have only been 14 hairdressers who have been awarded this esteemed title. They are – Trevor Sorbie, Anthony Mascolo, Irvine and Rita Rusk, John Frieda, Andrew Collinge, Nicky Clarke, Charles Worthington, Umberto Giannini, Beverly C, Mark Hill, Antoinette Benders, Lisa Shepherd, Andrew Barton and Angelo Seminara. 2007 British Hairdresser of the Year, Angelo Seminara was ecstatic when he won the coveted title. “I couldn’t believe it when my name was called out, I was overwhelmed and delighted – winning the title has made my year,” said Angelo.
Jayne Lewis-Orr, Publisher/Editor-in-Chief of Hairdressers Journal International, was delighted to announce the nominees. “British hairdressing is viewed throughout the world as being creative and inspiring and the 8 British Hairdresser of the Year nominees, all live up to that expectation. The forthcoming months are going to be very exciting, as we have the first round judging of the regional and specialist categories, followed by the announcement of the six finalists within nine regional categories and the six specialist categories. Within that time, the British Hairdresser of the Year nominees will be preparing their exclusive portfolio, which will be judged with the regional and specialist category finalists in October. I wish everyone involved the best of luck, as winning a British Hairdressing Award can really change your life.”
The British Hairdressing Awards 2008 is presented by Hairdressers Journal International and sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional. The winners in all sixteen categories, culminating in the premier accolade, British Hairdresser of the Year 2008, will be announced at a fantastic star studded awards ceremony and dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London on Monday 24th November 2008.
For press enquiries on the British Hairdressing Awards please contact Alison Jameson or Rachael Ross at Alison Jameson Consultants on 00 44 131 621 7210, fax 00 44 131 621 7215 or email; firstname.lastname@example.org